My birthday isn’t until the 21st so this is about three weeks early. However, I’m expecting my life to be in some state of disarray that day seeing as I will be freshly transplanted in Germany. So, since I had decided I wanted to do one of these posts it seemed like a good idea to get on it while I have the time. I’m sure I won’t learn that many new things in the next three weeks.
- You’re not always in control. Sometimes you have to let life do its thing and just follow along.
- Life is never truly dull. It may be blissfully calm sometimes, but never dull.
- Change is simultaneously exciting, sad, scary, awesome, and necessary.
- The single most important thing in life is the people you surround yourself with.
- Adding onto #4, be loving to others. That, in turn, usually leads to others loving you.
- Sometimes it’s okay to be lazy.
- Sometimes it’s NOT okay to be lazy. (Know when to tell the difference between #6 and #7.)
- Hasty decisions are generally not a good idea. But damn, they’re fun.
- Don’t let the enormity of a task stop you from attempting it. Break it down into smaller tasks and DO IT.
- Understand that you are simultaneously an unidentifiable speck in the universe and also the center of someone’s (or some people’s) universe.
- Find your niche. I repeat. Find your niche. Finding your cozy little spot in the world is enormously comforting.
- Having a sense of humor about something is pretty much always imperative.
- Try really hard to accept that people can have vastly different beliefs and opinions than you. I struggle with this sometimes, but in the end it’s none of my business.
- Find what you love and try really, really hard to do it. Doing what you hate day in and day out is no way to live a life.
- Know when to throw your first impression of a person (or thing or place or event or so on) out the window. First impressions are almost always bogus.
- Appreciate what others bring to your life.
- Remember that you are the sum of those you love. Every step you take, every word that slips from your lips, ever blink of your eye is inspired by a loved one.
- Goof off. Nuff said.
- It is not your responsibility to make others happy. It’s nice if you can, though.
- Meeting new people is intensely scary. It’s also necessary for growth.
- It’s okay to shop for fun sometimes. Not all the time, but sometimes.
- Adventure will come when you least expect it. Go with it.
I also did a 20 Things I’ve Learned In Twenty Years post on my old blog. Feel free to read about how wise and sage I was when leaving my teens.
And just in case you’re craving it, here’s a brand-spankin-new picture of me with my favorite nephew/godson ON THE PLANET.